May Reading Log
Jun. 6th, 2025 10:04 pmMay was not a great month for reading. I didn't listen to audiobooks on my trips for work. I think I am feeling burned out, which reduced my capacity to enjoy reading. I think exercising my reading muscles is the only way out of this.
I did read "Fuzzy Nation" by John Scalzi, "Bloodmarked" by Tracy Deonn, and "Go Luck Yourself" by Sara Raasch.
"Fuzzy Nation" was a cute little book that I was able to borrow digitally from the library. It was just the thing when I was out of town. Scalzi (with permission from the original author's surviving family) took a story from the classic age of hard science fiction and did a "cover" with some more modern themes. It worked. I could see the bones of the old tradition, and also admire what he did with it.
"Bloodmarked" is the second book in a series. The third book is out in hardback. The fourth book is not out yet. The characters are compelling and the action is fast paced. It's stressful to care so much, but putting characters in stressful situations is how fiction works.
I read "Go Luck Yourself" which is the sequel to "Nightmare Before Kissmass." I like the series, and I hope the author can write more in this world, but she doesn't sound hopeful about that on her Tumblr. I liked the first one a little more, but that might be partly because you need more world-building in a first book, and I like that part.
Onward.
I did read "Fuzzy Nation" by John Scalzi, "Bloodmarked" by Tracy Deonn, and "Go Luck Yourself" by Sara Raasch.
"Fuzzy Nation" was a cute little book that I was able to borrow digitally from the library. It was just the thing when I was out of town. Scalzi (with permission from the original author's surviving family) took a story from the classic age of hard science fiction and did a "cover" with some more modern themes. It worked. I could see the bones of the old tradition, and also admire what he did with it.
"Bloodmarked" is the second book in a series. The third book is out in hardback. The fourth book is not out yet. The characters are compelling and the action is fast paced. It's stressful to care so much, but putting characters in stressful situations is how fiction works.
I read "Go Luck Yourself" which is the sequel to "Nightmare Before Kissmass." I like the series, and I hope the author can write more in this world, but she doesn't sound hopeful about that on her Tumblr. I liked the first one a little more, but that might be partly because you need more world-building in a first book, and I like that part.
Onward.